And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49

Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Taking The Lord's Name In Vain?


In several of my previous writings, I have talked a lot about context. The idea of interpreting Scripture based on the context of who is talking, what is being said, who they are talking to, what is their purpose of saying what they are saying in context with the whole passage or writing. How often we take verses that we perhaps have memorized and use those verses in a way that contradict the very meaning of the verse?


As another example of seeing how context matters, I am including a copy of a writing by a minister, and YouTube video channel person by the name of Brandon Robbins. You can find a link to his channel HERE. I would recommend checking it out, he has some great content on his channel that can teach you many things. 


Having said that, I got an email lesson from Brandon, who has actually wrote about a subject that I have believed and known for years, and since I intended to write a post about this very thing, I am including what he wrote instead, which does express very well my thoughts.


"What if I told you that "taking the Lord's name in vain" has nothing to do with cursing?

 

Well, consider this for a moment... 

 

When police tell someone to stop in the name of the law, they aren’t claiming that the word “law” has any power.  What they mean is that they are invoking the authority of the law.  They bear its name.  They represent the law.  

 

This is also how the word "name" is used throughout scripture.  The Hebrew word for “name” is shaym.  And shaym refers to more than just the word you use to address someone.  Shaym refers to a person’s identity, their authority.  To bear a person’s name means that you are that person’s representative.  

 

This actually changes the way we understand many familiar scriptures. 

 

For instance, when God says “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain” (Exodus 20:7), God isn’t talking about using God’s name as part of a curse word.  God is talking about how we represent God in this world.

 

This is also the case when Jesus says, “No one who performs a miracle in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me.” (Mark 9:39)

 

Jesus isn’t referring to people who simply say the word “Jesus.”  Jesus’ name isn’t a magical phrase.  His name represents his identity, his authority.   Those who do things in Jesus’ name are representing him.

 

So, in the end, this isn’t a matter of simply saying the right words.  It’s deeper than that.  It speaks to our relationship with Jesus, how we represent him in the world.

 

Do we truly bear his name well?

 

Or do we take his name in vain?

This is something that James often asks his congregation throughout the Epistle of James. They are fighting. They are harming one another. And he forces them to ask themselves: how are we bearing Jesus' name?"  end of quote.

I remember years ago, when I was a new Christian, and this lady from the church I attended, talked about how she chastised someone in line at a store for cursing when he said: "Jesus Christ". She said how she shouted at him to "Stop taking the name of my savior Jesus Christ in vain!" I never realized until after how negative of a witness that was. She thought she was defending His Name, but instead  she would have better defended His Name if she showed this person love and grace instead. 

We have all heard people use the Name of Jesus as a cuss word, however  now that we know what taking the Name of the Lord in vain means, I do think that rather than changing their way of talking, we can change our way of thinking, One way I have considered is recognizing that it can be a way of the spirit within that person expressing a prayer! (I know but hear me out) If someone says " God damn it". What are they expressing? That this God they don't believe in would stop or damn up what ever is frustrating them. 

When Peter walked on the water, and then began to sink he cried out, "Lord please help!" Matt 14: 22-33. It was not a long prayer.... Lord I come to you at this time, and I ask that you would please rescue me in a time of my distress.... etc. It was just three words! How is that much different than others, even though it is not necessarily mixed with faith? And yet, perhaps unknown to them, it is indeed their spirit crying out to the Lord? Since we know that "for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Rom. 10:13 EVERYONE! Of course we know that it is not a cry unto salvation as we profess as a believer, but being saved is more than just a one time act. 

So, there we have more insight into the context to know if we or others are, Taking The Lord's Name In Vain?


No comments:

Post a Comment