And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Beginning Is Half Done

This blog has been a long time coming. Like many things, how we separate our available time will determine what things we will accomplish and what things get left behind.

 Cindi (my wife) has encouraged me for a couple of years to write a blog, and up until now, writing a blog was not one of those things for which I wanted to use up my available time. One other cause for delay was I did not have a Title for the blog. What would I call it? Seems like a small detail, but to me a title sets the purpose. Giving something a name, identifies that thing. I intend to write more in later posts about the importance of a name, but for now having a blog name defines for me the boundries of the posts that will be written.

 Recently, after writing an email to a friend, I felt like what I wrote (I will include parts of it in a future post) clarified all of these things for me without any forethought. It is because of that sudden clarification that I came up with a name, and a purpose, and I thought it was time to act on it, and at least to begin this blog.

 My former pastor used to say "Beginning is half done." meaning that starting something new is the hardest part, and once we start on something, we are half way there to finishing it. Cindi is also responsible for the time and effort it took to set this whole blog up, so all I have to do is write the posts. Easy start for me eh? 

 Okay, so why the name and what is the purpose? Simply put, we are all on a human journey. All of us. And there are different ways of looking at the events that happen on this journey of ours. Different perspectives. Not only to what happens to us, but what we observe happening to others on their journey, and in the world around us, not only where we are now, but also through the rear-view mirror we use to judge those things which are past.

 There are some that believe we are just human beings and that is it. When this life ends, that is all there is to it, and everything ceases. Their perspective of their human existence consists only of what affects their life on this earth now with no forethought of any part of them that lives on when they die. I used to believe this until I was about 18 years old, but I think there are fewer in this category than would even admit to it if they were honest about their alone times. 

 There are those that believe their life extends beyond this human existence, that they have a soul, or a spiritual part that continues after they die. In this category there are some who might say that what they do on their human journey good or bad affects what happens to their soul and spirit after they die. I think most people fit into this category. 

I used to believe that exact same thing for most of my life. It can be defined as being on a spiritual journey. Who are we, and why are we here? Where did we come from? Where are we going? What should I believe?

 In the third category, is where I find myself now. It is that we are first and foremost spiritual beings, and as spiritual beings, we are experiencing a human journey. Paul says in Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, [are] all things: to whom [be] glory for ever. Amen. God is Spirit! We are spirit created out of His Spirit. We are going back to Him.

 Since we began in Him, and are ending in Him, then why did we leave in the first place? I believe that God's purpose is for our Spiritual beings to gain something through our human experience that can be gained in no other way, which will ultimately lead to greater glory being revealed in us. Once again Paul says in Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 

So we are all on this human journey. And while many of these future posts will likely be from my human perspective of things, I hope that many more will be from a spiritual perspective while being... ON A HUMAN JOURNEY.


No comments:

Post a Comment