And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49

Friday, November 26, 2010

In The Name Of Jesus Amen!

Do you know why people say "Amen" at the end of a prayer. It is so that everyone knows they are finished praying! Isn't it? Most people understand the meaning of the word Amen, is "So be it". But did you know another meaning for the word is "That's my voice!" It would be like saying, "You took the words right out of my mouth". The idea is that you are so united with what that person was praying, that it was as if your voice was coming out of their mouth. You could not have said it better yourself! Doesn't that sound better than just so be it? Can I get an Amen? Haha!

Okay, so what about praying "In the Name of Jesus? If you are thinking that it is like an incantation that must be recited at the end of every prayer so that God must answer since you are twisting His arm, by citing the Name of His Son..... you could not be further from the truth! And yet, how many prayers have you heard spoken, or how many prayer have you said, where  you end by saying "In the Name of Jesus, Amen." and don't really realize why, other than that is the way you have always said it... that is the way everybody does it... so it must be right. Right? I mean, there is even Scripture to back it up right?

Well, there are a few things I would like to say about praying in the Name of Jesus, that I am sure will help the reader to understand more by reading over the last couple posts, since my understanding these things changed my whole Christian walk, and forever changed the way I pray, I think it will be worth it to at least read these, and see if it doesn't also give you some food for thought.

Take this verse for example, (John 14:13,14) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. Every commentary I read about this verse says that it means asking according to the authority Jesus. One compared it to a police officer saying to stop in the name of the law. But if you have read the previous posts, then you will see that the name of Jesus is more than just what you call Him or the authority His name possesses. The Name of Jesus, is talking about His Nature and Character, and more than that!

Previously, I talked about the Names of God. I explained that each Name of God revealed a certain aspect of God's Nature. I mentioned how that every time God would reveal another aspect of Himself to the children of Israel, that He would declare another Name He could be known by. He would provide for their needs, and then tell them that He is Jehovah-Jihra (the Lord Provides), but that is not the totality of all of who God is. Then, two thousand years ago, for the first time ever God was about to reveal to man Himself in totality in human form.

Check these verses out in Colossians.(1:19) For it pleased [the Father] that in him should all fullness dwell; (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. Jesus told Phillip, "if you have seen me, you have seen the Father."  It wasn't just one or two aspects of God's nature revealed to mankind as in the Old Testament, but rather in Jesus, all of the Fullness of who God is in all of His totality was revealed in human visible form.

Jesus said in John 15:7 "If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." I used to believe that this verse meant that if I quoted a lot of Scripture in my praying, then it would mean His words were abiding in me, and I could then pray for what I want, and He would have to answer "according to His word"! I could recite a Santa Claus list of items I wanted, and He would have to answer as long as I finished with saying "In the Name of Jesus, Amen."

There is nothing magical about praying using the name Jesus at the end of your prayer. It is not like saying the name Jesus twists God's arm into doing something He doesn't want to do. But there is a powerful expectation of a prayer being answered when your prayer is spoken according to the Nature and Character, and Will and Purpose of Jesus! Don't pray according to your own carnal, self serving desires, but rather pray as if it is Jesus praying through you!

Guaranteed it will change the way you pray! Now when you say  In The Name Of Jesus, Amen it will be impossible to ask amiss as James warns us about in 4:13 "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts."

No comments:

Post a Comment