And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49

Sunday, May 29, 2011

$100 Hamburgers.

Actually, it was more like $100 breakfast! What do I mean by that? Well, it is a term that describes a fly-in fund raising lunch or breakfast, that is hosted by a particular airport. The idea that pilots will spend $100 to fly their airplane to an airport to have a $6 hamburger or in this case; breakfast! Today, another pilot and I flew from Lock Haven Pa. (KLHV) to Wellsboro Pa. (N38). He flew us there, and I flew us back.

Wellsboro is home to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, and the airport is known as the Grand Canyon airport. Lock Haven used to be home to the Piper airplane factory, and is known as the William T. Piper Memorial airport. There is also a Piper Museum across the road at the west end of the airport.

While we were enjoying our $100 breakfast, I mentioned that it was  9 years ago this weekend, that I first moved across the border. I know, it is another reason to celebrate Memorial Day eh? He asked if I met my wife here, or how it was that I came to move here. I told him that I met her on an internet web site, then I clarified it to say that it was actually a Christian message board, and not a web based dating service. I continued by saying that Cindi and I posted messages and responded to each other's posts, and then emailed each other after a while, and then continued from there.

He said, "Is that your way of telling me you are a Christian?"
I said, "No, that is my way of telling you how I met my wife!"

That little beginning led to an interesting conversation. I thought he might say that he was a Christian too, but it was the opposite of that. He said that he is not a Spiritual person. He then asked me what I thought of judgement day that was supposed to happen on May 21st. I said, "Oh ya, now the guy is saying that it will take place in October, but actually Judgement day actually took place 2,000 years ago on the cross!"

I said that most people think that we are on some spiritual journey, but that I believe we are Spiritual beings on a Human Journey. (See why I chose the name for this blog?) He denied that he was spiritual at all, and I was not wanting to argue with him, but I just told him that he was whether he knew it or not; which he denied some more. I did jokingly tell him that after we die, he will come up to me and say, "Do you remember that day in Wellsboro, I guess I was wrong, I am a spiritual being after all!" haha.

At one point, I told him that on several occasions over the past 30 years or so, I have specifically heard the voice of God. Of course the next question was whether I was sure it was not my own voice, and I confirmed to him that I was sure. It was not audible for anyone else to hear, but it was unmistakable that it was indeed the voice of God.

I put it into pilot terms. I said, look at it this way, when we flew into this airport, the radio is tuned to 122.8 and with that, everyone here can listen to what you have to say, and you can listen to what they have to say. But if you are tuned to 122.7, you can talk all you want, and no one will hear you, and you could not hear anyone else. Now, in God's case, he tunes to whatever frequency you can hear, and then gets your attention, and then tells you to tune your radio to 122.8 so you can know what is really going on.

We kept the conversation fairly light, and I finally told him that I was not interested in convincing him of anything... it was not my job to do that. But, I also think that we left it open to further discussions later on. That is my hope. I am more than willing to discuss with anybody what I believe to be true as long as they are interested in hearing it, and even sometimes when they are not. Ha. Isn't that what witnessing is all about anyway?

I Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

To every man that ASKS YOU; is something that is easy to overlook. Now, the secret is to get them to ask you! haha. Well, it has been said that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. That's not true. You can always put salt in their oats. (see, the salt makes them thirsty, and they want to drink.... supposedly of their own "free will".... but that is another post. :-))

Well, perhaps in the mean time, God will add some salt to our discussion  to spark some more conversations along this line, and who knows, that at a future get together he might get to know that he is a Spiritual being after all. It might even be at another fly-in $100 Hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment