And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ever Watchful Over His Works

It has been several weeks since my last posting for several reasons, and all of the reasons can be summed up by just saying, there has been a lot of happenings on this human journey of mine. All of these happenings have demanded much of my time; not all of them have been pleasant.

My job is the biggest demand on my time, and this year I will be working more hours than before. Also, I have completed my flight training, and am now waiting for the chance to take my practical test for my license. The weather this weekend made that not possible, and so next weekend is a hopeful expectation.

 The unpleasant events started with an accident I had on the way to work a couple weeks ago. It had snowed, with freezing rain that night, and in the morning after passing someone on the road, I lost control, slid sideways into a guard rail, and was bounced into a ditch on the other side. We thanked God I was unhurt. The car however, was severely damaged and needed to be replaced!

It was an old car, with lots of miles, so it was not a terrible loss, but a loss none the less. It was not worth trying to fix the damages, so it became necessary to buy another car. This was a Wednesday. I took that day off, and the following two days, and decided on a good used car that we could afford. On the way to work  the following Monday, I ran over something in the road which damaged the alloy rim, and blew the tire! There was another time consuming task to replace that at a $430 expense.

Okay, so things happen, and surprisingly enough both Cindi and I were able to take it all in stride after some  thoughtful reflection. A few days later, and the new car was now giving me transmission problems. It would not shift into the higher gears. As it turns out, the transmission fluid was low, and just needed a top up. But as you can imagine, we were more than a little concerned when these costly troubles were going to end. I felt a little like Job, who had one bad report after another one, until he lost everything. I figured if I started getting boils, then I would really start worrying!! haha.

There is always more details to tell, but for the purpose of this blog, these experiences suffice as an example of some of the troubles that we all can face from time to time. We are, after all, on this Human Journey, but we are first and foremost Spiritual Beings, and sometimes that can get lost in our thinking while our flesh is demanding so much attention!

On the Wednesday night of the accident, I could not get a wink of sleep. My mind was tormenting me with negative thoughts of condemnation! Not only did I question my ability to ever drive again, but also any ability I have to fly! In my saner moments I realized what I always knew, that God is sovereignly in control of every detail of event of every moment of every day! So then, my thoughts turned heavenward, asking "What do you want from me? What am I to do? What is your purpose? What is your will?"

I did not hear a voice. I did not get an inner witness to an answer. Most of the time, that is the way it seems to work. The answers do not always come right away. Many times there is silence. And in that time of silence, there is reflection, and in that time of reflection, there is insight, and with that insight comes peace.

That peace is one of inner calmness, and is not dictated by outward circumstances. That peace is such that it can settle the mind of the flesh. The Psalmist David writes "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." Psalm 42:11

It is a peace that comes from His Spirit rising within your spiritual being, to spread confident assurance of an intimately loving heavenly Father Ever Watchful Over The Works of His Hands.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment