And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49

Saturday, July 3, 2021

Still On The Journey... Part One

I am still on the journey! In spite of the fact that it is, the July 4th weekend of the year 2021! That means that it has been 7 years 8 months and 21 days, OR 402 weeks, OR 2,817 days since my last post! And I must say that a lot has transpired since then for me to write about, which I could not detail of course, but rather perhaps I could highlight a few key events that might be of some Spiritual interest?

Rather than pick it up from 2,817 days ago, I will skip forward to the beginning of this year 2021, and try to only mention before that time as it relates to recently. In general for months before this year I was often having spiritual hunger for a deeper relationship with God! It reminded me of spiritual wildernesses I have had in the past, and how when I came out from them, there was such profound joy, and I was indeed seeking to come out of this dark and dry period. 

It was almost like sitting in a place where it is sunny, perhaps reading, and as the sun sets it gets gradually darker, but you keep reading, and then straining to read, until it is dark enough that now you realize you need to turn the light on to see clearer, and when you do so, you wonder how you were able to read at all with how dark it had gotten.

Nobody thinks about eating when they are full. And no matter how good the food is, we all get to the point when we "can't eat another bite!" But eventually, our bodies use up the food we ate, and then have a unique way of sending signals that it is time to eat again and replenish our bodies. (this is not meant to expand into discussion of eating disorders). It is a metaphor for spiritual sustenance, and for some time my spiritual sustenance had dwindled to the point of where I was at the point of tears in my longing for a renewed closer relationship with God! 

I longed for that time back in around 1993 when I might call it "My Great Awakening" which led to many years of a Spiritual renewal! And now the sun had set, and it was getting "too dark to read" and I began looking for the light switch. Not just looking, but now getting desperate!!

The biggest change that ignited this major life change took place at the same time as the election of Biden for president. And I ONLY bring up politics because it is so crucial to understanding the nature of this difference. Since I have been a Conservative politically as long as I have taken any interest in politics, and I moved here from Canada in 2002 during Bush's first term, I have followed American politics closely ever since. And in short, I will admit that I liked the job that President Trump was doing for this Country, and was very much hoping and expecting him to be re-elected.

When that did not happen, and when it became clear that Biden would take the office of the presidency, I decided at that point I had reached the end of my political endurance. Almost overnight, I came to realize that no matter what I thought, it was not going to change any outcome! Like it or not, any opinion I had about what was happening was not going to have an effect on anything that took place in Washington, and all it was doing was to build up an unhealthy level of disappointment over the consequences of something I had no control over. I was now done with it all!

As a result, I decided to stop any attention to what was happening in politics. That meant stopping listening to political talk radio, (FOX news) as well as political TV shows (FOX) The problem being that I drive a tractor trailer set of double trailers every day for a total of 8 hours! And what to do with ALL that time?? I am too selective in my choice of music to leave it on any one station for very long, and 8 hours of silence is a long time! 

Thus, begins my venture into such a major change to fill in the time gap and how to feed my hunger for a closer relationship with God. 

With that background covered, I will write part two, that will explain the steps I took and how that began to re-ignite the Spiritual part of  how I Am Still On The Journey. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment